Monday, March 16, 2009

Shots...who really likes 'um?

We are praying about what to do for Little Miss Chloe next year for school.

Options on the table:
Private Pre K (3 days a week)
Public Pre K (free, but 5 days a week)
Public Kindergarten
Private Kindergarten

All four options have their pros and cons...finances being a large contributing factor to some of them...I have been visiting schools and talking with other parents. Observing other 4 year olds. Comparing (I know I shouldn't compare!) Chloe academically and socially. Frankly, not feeling old enough to be doing any of this!!

But, a common necessity of all of the 4 options is...dun dun dun...IMMUNIZATION RECORDS! (can I get a 'boooo!')

I made her appointment a couple weeks ago and started dreading 9:15 am March 16, 2009 pretty much immediately. You see, Chloe HATES shots! (Who really likes them, right?) She hates them so much that when we sit around and dream of world travels, she will say "You can go there if you want to. But I am not going, because you have to get shots to go there." And she is right...to go to AFRICA...it would be recommended in most countries that she get her Yellow Fever shots...or Typhoid...

We had avoided the truth that in order to go to SCHOOL she was going to have to get shots...so this morning when I told her we were getting ready to go to the Doctor so that she could go to school, the first question out of her mouth was,
"Am I going to have to get shots?" (Darn that smart little girl.)
I couldn't lie, so I said, "yes, you may have to get shots."
"Then I don't want to go to school."
"School could be a lot of fun. Friends. Recess..."
"But I hate shots. They hurt."
"I know they do hurt. But only for a second and then it is over."
"I am not going to the Doctor."

This conversation continued for the next 20 minutes as we got dressed and ate breakfast. On the way to the Doctor she continues to ask why she needs to go to school and shares that home school sounds like a GREAT option...

Then we get to the Doctor's office and we are escorted by our dear friend, Miss Judy, who happens to go to our church and is a nurse at our Doctor's office. Miss Judy is the sweetest Southern lady you could ever meet...but she still had to poke Chloe's finger and collect blood samples. After the first few seconds of silenced shock, Chloe made it clear that "SHE DID NOT LIKE THE DOCTOR!!" (great...that was the easy one...5 shots are still on the agenda...actual number obviously being withheld from today's patient.)

Made it through that only to meet GREAT OPPOSITION at removing her clothing (easier shot access in her little mind...again...soooo smart). Finally, wiggled the rigid thing out of her clothes only to wrap her in her blankie (allowed out of her bed for comfort...just this once) tears flowing freely.

Lovely Dr. G. enters with smiles and questions and 'oh my you are such a big girl-s' in abundance. She is SUCH a great Doctor! But she does have to deliver the BIG BLOW...next on the schedule...SHOTS...then stickers and the toy box! To which Chloe responds loudly with HUGE tears and clenched fists to her side: "I KNEW it!!!!"

SCREAM. SCREAM. SCREAM. CRY. CRY. CRY.

Miss Judy comes to hold Eli. One...no, TWO nurses and me holding Chloe down trying to reassure her that it will be over in just a few seconds... that we are sooo sorry it hurts...it is almost over...Mommy is right here...I am soo sorry...you are soo brave...

and it was over...the shots at least...but for what seemed like forever her tears kept coming...loud screams...huge scene...lots of hugs (and Mommy tears fought back)...

But we made it. Princess sticker...check. Bouncy ball...check. Ice cream shop...HERE WE COME!!

Strawberry ice cream...sugar cone. All better.
(Along with the news...NO MORE SCHOOL SHOTS UNTIL YOU'RE 11!!)

Final verdict: a healthy little girl with a VERY healthy set of lungs!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad she made it through! I can't imagine the thoughts going through her head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY healthy set of lungs! You go girl (sarah). I love it! Chloe, you go girl. Don't be afraid to ask questions, cry when it hurts and get your sticker, ball and ice cream when its all done. When you are 11 you may be too old to pitch a fit and you probably won't get a sticker or ball, but you need to hold firm for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I love reading your blogs. I can just picture the whole thing. I think I would have cried. Sounds like you made it through and did great. :)

    ReplyDelete