Monday, April 12, 2010

School Picture Day

Chloe will have her 'pitcher made' today at school. (For my Northern friends...that means she is having her picture taken...but you probably figured that out....)

We are so proud of ourselves for remembering...I even ironed her outfit. (BIG DEAL)

I have been surprised at some of the nervousness I have felt the past few days about it...

What if we wake up late?
What should she wear?

It has also brought up some pretty interesting conversations between us...

According to Chloe, one little girl in her class is 'the prettiest.' 'She wears really pretty clothes and lots of big bows.' (funny...I thought we didn't like big bows...oh, that's me...no, offense to my big-bow-loving-southern-friends...I just didn't grow up wearing bows on the side of my head that are actually LARGER than my head...) So....Chloe likes them. Mental note.

Also...when I asked to see her smile...she gives me this Ronald McDonald smile with her lips together funny... When I asked why she wasn't giving me her normal pretty smile she told me "she doesn't want anyone to see her front teeth."

Sad. Heart.

I love that little gap in her front teeth. It's her. All. Her. But she is self-conscious about it and that makes me sad. I told her that gap will make room for her 'big new teeth' when her little ones fall out...and that means they will probably be nice and straight. Don't think she was comforted by that...which I totally get. But my beautiful little girl is looking at herself and comparing...and that just makes me sad...I know that road so well and it ain't a joy ride...

Lord, give me wisdom in traveling these bumpy roads of settling into who You have made Chloe to be...and who she IS...Yours. Lovely. Just right.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I'm praying for Chloe to have some security in who she is! I love her!! BTW....I'm one of your big-bow-lovin' southern friends! :) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her heart! I've been there - I had terrible teeth as a child, including a big silver (yes SILVER) crown on some of my teeth. (started getting cavaties at 2 years old. Bad genes :( One crown showed when I smiled, which made me smile crooked until that baby tooth fell out. Luckily, God blessed me with great teeth once my permanent ones grew in (thank you Lord!) But that was followed by an 'ugly duckling' stage that lasted quite a while... I was a skinny mess, all knees and elbows... which was only made worse by the HUGE BOWS my mother made me wear in my hair! HA!

    The good news is - you and Kevin are AWESOME, AWESOME parents. You don't compare her to other kids, and I know you are both great about affirming her. That is a HUGE step up she has that I didn't, and it will help more than you know as she gets older! (Especially the verbal affirmation from her Daddy!)

    Chloe is beautiful, inside and out! You remind her that Miss Ericka said she is a BEAUTIFUL PRINCESS - that's why she has a crown! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- has she ever seen the movie The Little Princess? It may need to wait until she's a little older (lots of sad parts) but it has a GREAT message in it!!! About how every girl is a Princess and every girl is beautiful. Just re-watched it with some friends last weekend...it's a childhood favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete