Yesterday, we finally loaded up the kids and headed north.
Things started off well:
In under an hour, we arrive in Helen...full of hope for a fantastic family fun day...
This is where Family Fun Day: Operation Epic FAIL begins:
Charlemagne's Kingdom. A huge model railroad...hoping it would be right up Eli's alley.
I called last week to make sure they would be open...
Closed.

Windmill attached to a hotel.
Closed.
Fail.
And the Toy Store...
Closed.
Read the sign...
Closed.
This lady came over and (not so nicely) let us know that we were in
'employees only' parking.
If we wanted to park, we would have to pay her $4.00.
Seriously?!?!?!
Everything is CLOSED!!!
There should be no employees within 5 miles of here!!

Helen is a 'Bavarian Village'...while we were not planning on staying the night, Tuscan Villas had 'No Vacancy.'
(We thought it was a tad strange that there were 'Tuscan Villas' in 'Bavaria'...but we are really in North Georgia, lest we forget...)
Happy something has worked out for the family fun day.
Closed.
Until May 21, 2011.
Too bad.
Closed.
We had been here before and fed the trout behind the mill.
At first glance, we feared the trout had also closed up shoppe for the winter.
But, good news, if you throw fish food at them,
they will indeed surface from their wintry hiding spots and put on a good show.
Thank you, trout.
Happy something has worked out for the family fun day.Epic FAIL may be a bit of an exaggeration....
Babyland General Hospital was open for business.

If you, like me, were a young child in the early 80's you too would be excited to visit the birth place of Cabbage Patch Kids.

If you, like me, were a young child in the early 80's you too would be excited to visit the birth place of Cabbage Patch Kids.
Check your adoption papers, ladies, Xavier Roberts made those babies in
CLEVELAND, GEORGIA.
but...the Cabbage Patch business...
dare I say...
She ain't what she used to be...
We nearly had the place all to ourselves.
Which begs the question,
Which begs the question,
"How does Mr. Roberts fund this 80's-doll-frenzy-mecca?"
Here is Chloe watching a Cabbage Patch baby being born.
Oh. Yes. They. Do.
Complete with corny, dead pan humor and lingo...
I will spare you the gory details.
Chloe got to name her:
Elizabeth.
Awwwwwwwweeeee.
And we could have adopted this very baby!!!
For $225.
Sorry, Elizabeth...God must have another family for you today.
1 lb. 11 oz.
15 inches long.















Ok, so I'm cracking up AND sad at the same time. You know how much I wanted to make the trek to pay homage to Xavier's creations when we were there, but I just couldn't imagine my four boys there...ooh that woulda been UGLY. I, too, saw the Helen scout out in family fun and thought it looked like a good time...who knew they had a "season" for Bavaria?!? Glad you could make it fun....anyway!
ReplyDeleteLOL, Sarah!! What a bummer. It is only funny to those of us reading about it.:) And it will be eventually funny to you.:)
ReplyDeleteHA!! Such a funny blog... Reminds me of our honeymoon in Highlands, NC... NOT.A.THING open. What is it with these North GA/NC towns closing for winter?
ReplyDeleteFirst of all - I hope you wrote your "Family Fun" magazine to tell them they were wrong wrong WRONG!
ReplyDeleteSecond - Chloe & Eli are WAY cute in that little cabbage! ;)
Third - a tree that births babies is VERY creepy
Fourth - $225?! For reals!? I guess THAT is how they fund that place!
Sarah, I love to read what you write. You are so gifted. I love you guys and miss y'all so much!
ReplyDelete