Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Confessions of a New PreK Mom

1. I am more concerned about her friend-making than she is.
Proven by asking her if she made any new friends on her first day of school. To which she replied,
"No, today I was getting ready to make new friends."

2. I am more concerned about whether she is wearing the "right" clothes than she is.
"What will the other kids be wearing?"

3. I am more concerned about "fitting in" than she is.
"Is it obvious that we don't frequent the Country Club?"

4. I am more concerned about people's opinions than she is.
Proven by her desire to take homemade blueberry muffins as her birthday treat...because she doesn't like icing ...
The muffins turned out more 'dense' than I had anticipated and look like they might actually be
GOOD for you. What 4-5 year old wants something that is GOOD for you for a birthday snack???
"What will her teacher think??"
"What if they tease her for bringing MUFFINS for a birthday treat?!?!"
"What if she is THAT kid...you know the one with the Mom who sends HEALTHY snacks?!?!?"
"Maybe I should go to the fancy cake shop and get the 'best cupcakes' in town..." (Hello? VANITY!!!)

Now...all of the previous are INTERNAL struggles...I am not sharing them with her...
However... I feel like I am the one going to school again...revisiting all the thoughts and emotions that come with it.

So.

The Truth.

1. She is going to make great friends.
2. She has clean clothes to wear. (most days.) :)
3. We are not needing to "fit in". We are who we are... and we are GOOD.
4. The class will eat (or not eat) the muffins. It is what she wanted and it is HER birthday.
Dense, ugly (made with love by Mommy and Chloe), good for you muffins it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment