Friday, January 14, 2011

Can We Talk?

Item of frustration...

Shopping for jeans.

Are you with me ladies?? Can I get a 'groan'?
Easily one of the crappiest supposed-to-be-fun things that exists.

Case in point. Skinny jeans.

Cruel and unusual punishment for us 'not Juniors' but not really 'Misses' body types...

My sister, Jamie, who happens to be my undercover fashion compass, told me I need a pair of Skinny Jeans to wear with my New Cool Boots. (The boots were a Christmas gift. Mom and Jamie said that I could pull them off...especially with Skinny Jeans...I was hesitant.)

Ok, ok...I will try on some skinny jeans, I said. Thankfully, Mom had a pair that would fit...just need to go to Target and buy my own pair. Simple.

Yeah. Right.

I have been to Target thrice and have yet to slither myself into a pair of skinny jeans that:
1. fit and
2. are a size that seems acceptable and appropriate and not completely demoralizing.

Seriously...should one have to contort, squat and stop breathing all in the name of fashion??

My answer is NO.

I would also add that if one has to buy leggings, jeggings* or skinny jeans in a size multiple sizes larger than their normal size the clothing has obviously ceased to be 'skinny'.

My final words:
'XL Skinny Jeans' is an insulting oxymoron.

That is all.

*I feel like an idiot when I say this word out loud.

UPDATE:
While typing this blog, my fashion compass called...I had texted my frustrations to her from the store...she came to my rescue and found the Golden Pair of Skinny Jeans. She swears they are just my size and I am going to love them. As previously stated, I will not hold my breath.

10 comments:

  1. Ha! I went shopping for a new pair of jeans yesterday. I feel a lot of pressure to go the route of the "skinny jeans." I tried on a pair yesterday that fit... but I still couldn't bring myself to buy them. My whole adolescent life was built on the premise that pants aren't supposed to fit like that. (i.e. skin tight, straight leg, or whatever you want to put on the tags.) So for now, the answer is no thank you. Show me the boot cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jamie that you NEED a pair of skinny jeans! You need to wear those cute boots more often! I wear them just about every day! I hope these new ones fit perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I bought a pair to go with my cool boots too. Felt really silly in the junior department at Kohl's, but I really like them. I hope you find just the right pair! At least it's not swimsuit weather yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pair of skinny jeans from Target, a pair from The Loft, and a pair of Jessica Simpson skinny jeans from Belk (reasonably priced at about $50). I LOVE the Jessica Simpson ones, with Target being a close second, because I'm pretty sure the JS ones have some stretchy to the jean, but they don't look like leggings (or like they were painted on me), and they are a darker shade of denim, so they can easily look "dressier." I was a big skeptic of the skinny jeans + boot trend and feared that being 5'4" would make this a difficult trend to pull off and would only make me look shorter (and increasingly more "squatty"), but I quickly realized that if you wear it with confidence, no one will notice that you feel a little awkward (at least initially) with the trend and you'll soon pick this as a "go-to" outfit. (Sorry for the long post) :) GO FOR IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skinny jeans are straight from the pit. I think they are the most horrendous article of clothing ever to come out. Girls may be able to wear them but the jeans are still not attractive, but when guys wear them they look absolutely gay. I think they should be banned. I have taken note of this style on females to wear these ridiculous pants with boots that are very tall. I suppose it looks ok but I still think the skinny jeans should be banned, especially for male people. Also keep in mind that I am a dude who totally lives by the idea that, "Function is always more important than appearance, there is no exception to this rule."

    Jon Goins

    ReplyDelete
  6. sarah, i love you blog. it is amazing. i got some boots and was faced with the same problem...i got a pair from old navy. they are my fav! not too tight, my regular size, and VERY reasonably priced. ps. i'm sure you'll look super cute in anything, let's be honest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I need to see the boots.
    2. I have repeatedly cursed my sorry jean situation just this week to Cory. My problem is that nowadays you can buy jeans that fit - sometimes even feel too snug! - and three hours later, you have the baggy Mom butt. That there is the story of my life. Blasted spandex. Who's idea was that, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know who Flower Patch Farmgirl is but AMEN!!! Shopping for jeans is a NIGHTMARE these days (any jeans). I totally struggle with the same issue - get the perfect pair of jeans that fit (after trying on 30 pairs), and then after wearing them for an hour the spandex has stretched out and I look like I'm "slacking". UGH!

    As for the skinny jeans, I promise they will grow on you! They make boots so much easier to wear (no tucking in your jeans) which is a huge plus up here in Michigan (boots are all we can wear during the winter!) Plus, if you get a long, flowy top to wear with them they are SUPER comfortable. Same with leggings - I thought they looked stupid when they first came "back" but oh my lord how COMFY!!!

    ps- jean sizes are crap these days. I refuse to read the label anymore, if they fit then I get them. With all the spandex and sizes like "XXS" there is no sort of standard for what's what anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mom has a pair of skinny jeans. I love her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a HILARIOUS post, Sarah! I totally know what you mean. I had a horrible jean situation over a year ago where I had been searching for the "perfect" pair of jeans (not skinny, thankfully) and finally found them up in Michigan while visiting Karl's mom....then lost them before I made it to the checkout counter. Seriously?!? Yes, seriously. So, I went back, got another of the same size, style, and brand and left....only to get home and realize they WEREN'T THE SAME. Will the torment never end?!? Anyway....thanks for making me laugh this morning!

    Your old youth group friend :),
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete