Well...somebody is having a birthday this week.
He wouldn't want me to reveal his age...so it's 29...again.
(or half of eighty) gasp!!!
impossible. I. know.
I wanted to do something really special and memorable.
At the risk of making my man sound a touch nerdy...
He loves dinosaurs and fossils.
In the past several years, he has gained an affection for fossilized shark's teeth. That started at Edisto Beach in South Carolina. He has caught the fever and has had a dream of finding a Megalodon tooth.
You may already know that the Megalodon is the ancestor of the Great White Shark and lived in the Miocene Epoch. It is one of the largest predators that has ever lived. Estimated to be 60 feet long. Capable of swallowing a fully grown rhinoceros in one gulp. (confession: I did not know any of this either...until this weekend...)
Kevin had done some research on the web of places to dig for fossils in the U.S. and found this man in Florida that leads Fossil Expeditions and fans the flame of hope in making Kevin's dream of finding a megalodon tooth a very real possibility.
Enter me...I contacted the guy in FL and got us on the list for an expedition. A friend gave us a couple buddy passes...we left on a jet plane last Friday set for a birthday adventure.
Saturday morning we met our guide and he lead us to the river where we would start our dig. Kevin was so. nervous. He had researched the river. Our guide and his books. He read up on people's techniques. He was on a mission to find his meg. (That's what the cool people call Megalodon teeth.)
He had his dig assistant right at his side for the entire 7 hours.
Actually, he did all the digging.
Actually, he did all the digging.
He would put a pile of mud/sand/gravel in the screen
and I would sift it and search for the fossils.
Even though our guide had just informed us that there are alligators in the river. and snakes.
Other people were in the shallows, digging and sifting where they could see their feet beneath them. Not us. We were directed to where our guide would dig if he was digging.In the middle of the river. Shoulder deep.
Did I mention alligators and snakes??
Did I mention alligators and snakes??
Never. Ever. thought I would own a pair of pink water shoes.
But of course we were about soooo much more than fashion...
But of course we were about soooo much more than fashion...
This moment will forever be in my memory.
I had gone to the shore to take our smaller findings to a safe place.
When I turned around to return, Kevin was speechless.
He was holding his mouth and then patting his heart.
And I knew he had found one.
I think he almost cried.
You can't really tell from this picture, but the tooth is 2 inches long.
The average size of the teeth we were finding was less than half an inch
of the Gray, Mako, and Tiger Shark varieties.
The medium sized on next to it is a broken megalodon.
The dot at the tip is the average sized tooth we were finding.

It took 3 hours for my fingers to return to normal.
The TREASURE!Made a DREAM COME TRUE!
Our guide invited us to join him in another river a couple days later.That would be sticking your bare hands in the roots and mud of the shoreline to feel for fossils.
No promises that snakes or snapping turtles won't defend the fossils.
(Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)















The last picture....the phrase on your tshirt....perfect for your expression. HA!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!!! Totally random and crazy but you two are so much fun. What a neat memory (and SO COOL that he found that TOOTH! It is HUGE!!!)
ReplyDeleteYay for dreams coming true! Happy birthday Kevin!
ReplyDeleteNo WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, I love this. Love that last photo, too. You win Wife Of the Year! But I'm sure you already knew that... :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!!! I'm emailing Dave the link to this one so he can read it too. Oh. My. My. My. Could my heart swell any bigger with love for you two?!
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteafter reading your post this article came out...about people "noodling" and catching HUGE catfish with their bare hands by sticking it in the river bank and waiting for the fish to bite their hand..just like you guys were doing!
google noodling under the google news tab or paste this:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703864204576321940917861336.html
you guys were lucky you didn't get bit! From the article:
"Once a hole is located, noodlers insert their arms, with elbows slightly bent. As the fish lunges forward to bite, a noodler tries to get both hands into the fish's mouth and grab the bone in the lower jaw shaped like a suitcase handle. The fish can also be grabbed through the gills."
Rob,
ReplyDeleteOne of the 'benefits' of living in the south for the past 10 years is knowledge of this alternative fishing technique. :)
Noodlers are crazy people...and noodling is only legal in 4 or 5 States...
Now I will not claim to NOT be crazy...but there is NO WAY I am giving a ginormous catfish a chance to bite my hand off or drown me in the process. Kevin on the other hand...would probably give it a try. (Just to say he had done it.)