Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Letter From Grandma

Went to storage today and came across a couple boxes. "Sarah High School" and "Sarah Taylor" were scribbled on the cardboard. Assuming they were full of pictures that should not be in a non-climate controlled unit, we retrieved them. Boxes. Sometimes you can't wait to open them, other times you look at them awhile working up the guts to take a peek. The first box I open with excitement. Purple and gold pom poms (GO TU!)...my daily planner from my freshman year with record of everything I did from homework to social events. I continue digging to find my Jr. High scrap book full of goofy pictures of a more gangley-braces-wearing me. High School cheer leading pictures, friends senior pictures, letters. Most of the letters make me laugh or cringe...but one, makes me cry.

It is a letter from my grandma. Dated Feb. 5, 1992. A short rush of love and sadness goes through my body. Her familiar handwriting warms my heart. This letter was written many years before her mind started to betray her, before her thoughts could no longer be released coherently through a pen. This letter, it was clear and full of wonderful words. Words every granddaughter longs to here. Golden truths. Heartfelt challenges.

"It gets back to grandma, when their children do things that make us proud of them...."

"I believe in you..."

"Consider exposing yourself to a short time mission endeavor, it could change your whole life and direction."

"You are daily remembered before the throng by grandpa and myself..."

"You are loved so much,
Grandma"

Grandma went home to be with Jesus this past September. 77 days after the love of her life, my Grandpa, went home to be with Him too. This fact makes this letter all the more precious to me, and serves as a reminder of who she was and how special she was.

And she was right.

I did take that "short time mission endeavor" in 1994, two years later. And it did change my whole life and direction. I had thought that ministry would be in my future...somehow....but that trip to Trinidad showed me that missions was going to be a part of my life for a long time. It was this heart for missions that was one (of many) confirming factors in my marrying Kevin. It was this trip that ultimately lead Kevin and I to live in New Zealand with YWAM for the first 7 months of our marriage. A time that we believe forever impacted our relationship for the better. It was that trip that then lead us to go on staff with Adventures In Missions to plan and lead "short time missions endeavors" for other young people.

How could she have known? Well, women who spend as much time talking to God has she did tend to know these kinds of things. I am so thankful for her investment in me. For her and my Grandpa's prayers that carried me through many difficult times. I am thankful that she got to see us walking in what she had hoped for me. I am thankful to have such a godly heritage. I am thankful for and missing Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment