Ok...I know I am not alone here...I have read/heard the stories...experienced it myself with Chloe off and on...
But today...it was his first...Eli's first Grocery Aisle Meltdown.
It was a 'quick' trip. Meant to be an in and out...with BOTH the kids...who was I kidding?
I had gathered my few items and was finishing a phone conversation before getting in line.
Unfortunately I stopped right next to a very-small-almost-missed-it display of Hot Wheels.
My son's current fave.
He slyly pulls a couple off the display...then pulls the whole hook thingy that they were hanging on. I try to put it back together and allow him to hold onto one. (Still on the phone...trying to avoid the tears during the conversation.) Get to the check out...return the Hot Wheels to it's display...
"We have cars at home." (umm...LOTS of cars)
MELT! DOWN!
Tears. Shrieks. Screams.
My heart rate elevates...face probably red...wishing I could crawl in a hole.
Sweet Lady behind me in line begins to try to distract him.
Eli, still screaming.
Sweet Lady, "Maybe Mommy will let you have the car next time." (nice)
Eli stands up in the shopping cart. Refuses to sit down. I place him on the floor.
Still screaming.
Sweet Lady asks, "Do you want to come home with me?" (Really?)
Eli pauses...nods his head and walks over to Sweet Lady, grabs her hand and looks at me as if to say,
"See THIS nice lady is gonna take me home and GIVE ME THAT CAR!!"
I was beside myself. (and a little annoyed at Sweet Lady...really? You are going to offer to take my child home?!?!" )
I swipe my card. Sign my name. Swoop Eli up on my hip, and walk out of the store while he continues to scream all the way out to the car and all the way home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment